Welcome to SPF
The AAUW CA Special Projects Fund (SPF) is a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation that provides fiscal sponsorship to AAUW CA state and branch projects and scholarships. This means that these entities may collect tax-deductible donations for approved projects from individuals and corporations without having to establish themselves as a separate non-profit entity. All projects must be intended to further the mission of AAUW and approved by the SPF Board of Directors. The SPF currently serves as a fiscal sponsor for ten branch scholarships, five branch projects and two state projects.
SPF is a California corporation. The corporation has no members, but does have an active volunteer board of directors, all of whom are required to be members of AAUW CA. SPF contracts with a bookkeeper and a CPA, but the majority of the work (averaging over 1000 hours/year) is done by the volunteer board. It is essential that board members be competent and dependable.
The board meets either in-person or by telephone conference call at least four times a year. The board members work between meeting to ensure that SPF continues to exercise its fiduciary responsibility to ensure that all funds deposited are managed responsibly and to ensure the success of AAUW CA Branch and State projects and programs.
2018 Accomplishments included:
- Revisions of bylaws and policies and procedures to reflect current systems and sound business practices.
- Over 400 deposits, most of multiple checks recorded and allocated and over 300 checks written, signed and mailed.
- Review and revisions of all forms
- Adoption of new logo
- Representation and presentation of a workshop at the AAUW CA Convention in April
- Representation at Tech Trek Annual Meeting in Simi Valley in October
- Active recruitment of new board members
- Selection of thee new board members (Sue Cochran (CA Online, Sharon Westafer, Long Beach and Tobi Balma, La Palma/Cerritos) who began to serve on the board in January 2019.
- Acknowledgment of all donations of over $250.
I am honored to serve as the President of the SPF Board and work with such a competent and enthusiastic board of directors. We look forward to working with you to make your project a success and to achieve the mission of AAUW!
Shelley Mitchell, President